Monday, January 16, 2017

Marie Kondo/Intentional Living Pt 1

Please excuse the blurry photos from my phone. 
This new year of 2017 I've been inspired by a movement of intentional living.  Not that it is anything new or groundbreaking but I've been inspired nonetheless.  Marie Kondo is a Japanese author with several popular books out, the most common being The Life- Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  In it she talks about only keeping things in your home that either serve a purpose or spark joy in you.  You start by getting all of one item (clothing, kitchen, books, etc) in a big pile and all together.  Then you sit down and pick up each item and determine if it brings you joy.  Even the kids got in on it with their clothing.  See that ridiculously giant pile above?!  That was their clothing.  WAY TOO MUCH!
Then you donate thing you no longer want and put everything else back- neatly. 
She has a special way to fold things so that it looks tidy and fits better. 
We have filled over a dozen large garbage bags full of stuff  and I am still working away on de-cluttering.  I have decided that my time and energy is better spent elsewhere than on stuff.  Having a smaller home has made that reality very clear.  And we love it.  I still have to go through toys, my closet and random nooks and crannies but overall our home is much more peaceful and empty of piles and clutter.  I will also post more pictures if I get a chance of the tidy spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Half way

We are half way through our 1st week back and it’s been a whirlwind of facts, checklists, narration, a few tears, good books, chores, bible ...